World environment day is also known as the Environment Day, Eco Day or short form WED. It has been one of the great annual events for years which is being celebrated worldwide by the people aiming to protect the unique and life nurturing Nature on every 5th June.
World Environment Day 2015
World environment day 2015 would be celebrated by the people all across the world on 5th of June, at Friday.
World Environment Day History
World Environment Day (also called as WED) has been started celebrating as an annual event on every 5th of June since 1973 in order to raise the global awareness about the importance of the healthy and green environment in the human lives, to solve the environmental issues by implementing some positive environmental actions as well as to make aware common public worldwide that everyone is responsible for saving his environment and not only somebody, government or organizations working for it.
World environment day was first established to be celebrated every year by running some effective campaigns by the United Nations General Assembly and United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) in the conference on Human Environment began from 5th to 16th of June at United Nations in 1972. It was first time celebrated in 1973 with the particular theme “Only one Earth”. Since 1974, the celebration campaign of the world environment day is hosted in different cities of the world.
It is a big annual celebration started by the United Nations General Assembly to engage millions of people from different countries across the globe as well as draw attention of political and health organizations to implement some effective actions.
Why World Environment Day is Celebrated
World environment day annual celebration campaign was started to address the huge environmental issues like wastage and losses of food, deforestation, increasing global warming and so many. Every year celebration is planned according to the particular theme and slogan of the year to bring effectiveness in the campaign all through the world.
It is celebrated to successfully get carbon neutrality, focusing on the forest management, reducing greenhouse effects, promoting bio-fuels production by planting on degraded lands, use of hydro-power to enhance electricity production, encourage common public to use solar water heaters, energy production through solar sources, developing new drainage systems, promoting coral reefs and mangroves restoration in order to get prevented from flooding and erosion including other ways of environmental preservation. Some of the objectives of the world environment day campaign are mentioned below:
- It is celebrated to make aware the common public about the environmental issues.
- Encourage common people from different society and communities to actively participate in the celebration as well as become an active agent in developing environmental safety measures.
- Let them know that community people are very essential to inhibit negative changes towards the environmental issues.
- Encourage people to make their nearby surroundings safe and clean to enjoy safer, cleaner and more prosperous future.
World Environment Day Theme and Slogan
Each year celebration of the World Environment Day is based on the particular theme decided by the United Nations to make the celebration more effective by encouraging mass people worldwide to hugely take part in addressing environmental issues on global scale. Year wise list of the themes and slogans of world environment day are mentioned below:
- 2015 would be “One World, One Environment”.
- 2014 – “small island developing states” or “SIDS” and “Raise your voice, not the sea level”.
- 2013 – “Think. Eat. Save.” And slogan – “Reduce Your Foodprint”.
- 2012 – “Green Economy: Does it include you?”
- 2011 – “Forests: Nature at your Service”.
- 2010 – “Many Species. One Planet. One Future”.
- 2009 – “Your Planet Needs You – Unite to Combat Climate Change”.
- 2008 – “CO2, Kick the Habit – Towards a Low Carbon Economy”.
- 2007 – “Melting Ice – a Hot Topic?”.
- 2006 – “Deserts and Desertification” and slogan – “Don’t Desert Drylands!.”
- 2005 – “Green Cities” and slogan – “Plan for the Planet!”.
- 2004 – “Wanted! Seas and Oceans” and slogan – “Dead or Alive?”.
- 2003 – “Water” and slogan – “Two Billion People are Dying for It!”.
- 2002 – “Give Earth a Chance”.
- 2001 – “Connect with the World Wide Web of Life”.
- 2000 – “The Environment Millennium” and slogan – “Time to Act”.
- 1999 – “Our Earth – Our Future” and slogan – “Just Save It!”.
- 1998 – “For Life on Earth and slogan – “Save Our Seas”.
- 1997 – “For Life on Earth”.
- 1996 – “Our Earth, Our Habitat, Our Home”.
- 1995 – “We the Peoples: United for the Global Environment”.
- 1994 – “One Earth One Family”.
- 1993 – “Poverty and the Environment and slogan – “Breaking the Vicious Circle”.
- 1992 – “Only One Earth, Care and Share”.
- 1991 – “Climate Change. Need for Global Partnership”.
- 1990 – “Children and the Environment”.
- 1989 – “Global Warming; Global Warning”.
- 1988 – “When People Put the Environment First, Development Will Last”.
- 1987 – “Environment and Shelter: More Than A Roof”.
- 1986 – “A Tree for Peace”.
- 1985 – “Youth: Population and the Environment”.
- 1984 – “Desertification”.
- 1983 – “Managing and Disposing Hazardous -te: Acid Rain and Energy”.
- 1982 – “Ten Years after Stockholm (Renewal of Environmental Concerns)”.
- 1981 – “Ground Water; Toxic Chemicals in Human Food Chains”.
- 1980 – “A New Challenge for the New Decade: Development without Destruction”.
- 1979 – “Only One Future for Our Children and slogan – “Development without Destruction”.
- 1978 – “Development without Destruction”.
- 1977 – “Ozone Layer Environmental Concern; Lands Loss and Soil Degradation”.
- 1976 – “Water: Vital Resource for Life”.
- 1975 – “Human Settlements”.
- 1974 – “Only one Earth during Expo ’74”.
- 1973 – “Only one Earth”.Top ten inspirational quotes from famous personalities
Top ten inspirational quotes from famous personalities
- “Earth provides enough to satisfy every man’s needs, but not every man’s greed.” – Mahatma Gandhi
- “The environment is everything that isn’t me.” – Albert Einstein
- “The earth is like a beautiful bride who needs no manmade jewels to heighten her loveliness.” – Khalil Gibran
- “God has cared for these trees, saved them from drought, disease, avalanches, and a thousand tempests and floods. But he cannot save them from fools.” – John Muir
- “Harmony with land is like harmony with a friend; you cannot cherish his right hand and chop off his left.” – Aldo Leopold
- “I can find God in nature, in animals, in birds and the environment.” – Pat Buckley
- “We must return to nature and nature’s god.” – Luther Burbank
- “If we do not permit the earth to produce beauty and joy, it will in the end not produce food, either.” – Joseph Wood Krutch
- “Birds are indicators of the environment. If they are in trouble, we know we’ll soon be in trouble.” – Roger Tory Peterson
- “We won’t have a society if we destroy the environment.” – Margaret Mead
Source: ibtimes.co.uk, indiacelebrating.com